The Ultimate Window Rebate Guide 2023: Learn how to save up to $14500!
Are you a homeowner in British Columbia looking to replace your old windows with energy-efficient ones? If you’ve been thinking about upgrading your windows, now is the best chance. In this guide, we will show you how to get up to $14500 on canadian government grants for window replacement. This is enough to cover more than half of your project cost.
If you are thinking how much do you have to pay out of your own pocket to cover the remaining cost, there is also a 0% interest loan that can be utilized to get the job done today, and slowly paid back over the next 10 years. This is the best government incentive program we’ve seen to day, let’s dive into the details.
Introduction to Window Rebate in British Columbia
If you own a single family home in British Columbia, and have it as your primary residence. You are eligible to receive rebates from both The Greener Homes Canada and CleanBC programs.
Greener Homes Canada Grant
The Greener Homes Canada Grant covers up to $5000 for eligible retrofits. By choosing EnergyStar certified windows with a u-value <1.22, you can get $125 off per window. Alternatively, if you choose an EnergyStar Most Efficient model with a u-value <1.05, you are eligible to receive $250 off per window. The most efficient models do cost a little more than the standard EnergyStar models, therefore, when considering what to choose for your project, keep in mind the maximum rebate is $5000. Depending on how many windows are in your home, you can choose the product that will give you the most rebate.
If you qualify for the Greener Homes Canada Grant, you are also eligible to apply for their special financing program. This is a 0% interest loan with a 10 year payback period. The financing amount ranges from $5000 to $40,000. This means that any family can get started on upgrading to EnergyStar certified windows today, and repay the upgrade over the next 10 years.
CleanBC Rebate Program
On top of the Greener Homes Canada Grant, homeowners can also apply for the CleanBC Better Homes and Home Renovation Rebate Program. This program also has rebates for homeowners in British Columbia who upgrade to high-performance windows. There are 2 pathways within this program, the standard program and a special program for income qualified families.
The standard program offers $100 off per window for Energy Star qualified products, up to $2000. Moreover, if you fall under their income qualified threshold, instead of $100 off per window, you can get $950 off per window, with a maximum of $9500. We wrote a separate blog post here that talks more on the details for the Income Qualified Program.
If all these options are hard to track, here is a summary table to help you:
So what do you need to do to be eligible for these window rebate programs? For both programs, the following is required:
- Be a homeowner in Canada
- Have a home that is your primary residence
- Complete a pre-retrofit home energy evaluation
- Work with a HPCN qualified contractor
- Replace existing windows, not install new windows in an addition or new construction
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for these rebates:
- Register for the program through the Greener Homes Grant website.
- Complete a pre-retrofit home energy evaluation with a certified energy advisor. You have to pay an upfront advisor fee, however once you go through the program, you can get up to $600 credit back on your pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluations. Here is a list of certified energy advisors to help you get started.
- Choose energy-efficient windows that meet the program requirements.
- Hire a qualified contractor to perform the window installation. Contractor must be part of the HPCN network to qualify for the rebate. Silverline Exteriors is one of the few certified contractors for this program.
- Complete a post-retrofit home energy evaluation. The energy advisor will provide the homeowner with an EnerGuide rating for their home and an energy efficiency report
- Submit your grant application and required documentation.
Choosing the Right Energy-Efficient Windows
When choosing products for your home in British Columbia, consider the following factors:
- Energy Star certification: Look for windows that are Energy Star-certified, only certified products are qualified for rebates.
- NAFS certification: In addition to Energy Star certification, which measures a window’s thermal performance, NFAS certification provides additional metrics such as air and water tightness and structural integrity.
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC): In addition to the U-factor, which measures the rate of heat transfer. The SHGC measures how much solar radiation a window allows into your home. Choose a window with an appropriate SHGC for your home’s orientation and shading to maximize energy savings.
Benefits of Energy-Efficient Windows
- Lower energy bills: Energy-efficient windows reduce heat transfer, keeping your home warmer in winter and cooler in summer, resulting in lower energy bills.
- Improved comfort: High-performance windows can reduce drafts and cold spots, providing a more comfortable living environment.
- Reduced noise pollution: Energy-efficient windows often have better insulation and can help block outside noise, making your home quieter.
- Increased home value: Upgrading to energy-efficient windows can increase your home’s value and curb appeal.
- Environmental benefits: By reducing energy consumption, energy-efficient windows help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change.
Maximizing Savings with Window Rebate Programs
To maximize your savings from the Greener Homes Canada and CleanBC rebate programs, follow these tips:
- Combine projects: In addition to windows upgrade, both the Greener Homes Canada and CleanBC rebate programs also apply to heat pumps, insulation, water heating and furnace. When you combine multiple types of projects, you can get additional bonus rebates. Here is some more information on bonus rebates.
- Choose high-performance windows: If your budget allows, take advantage of financing and choose the highest efficiency products. This will maximize your rebate and at the same time lower your energy spending in the long run.
By taking advantage of the Greener Homes Canada and CleanBC window rebate programs, you can have your windows upgraded today with little to no investment! Consult with one of our specialists today to get a free estimate!